Drayton Dubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few probs with my polo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

A few probs with my polo Empty
PostSubject: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Just got a 16 valve Polo and having driven it for a bit now I notice the temp guage slumps to zero and occasionally moves a little so I suspect either a new thermostat or temp sender. Im hoping the temp sender as its a lot simpler to do. Im also hoping the fuel gauge is faulty too as I stuck a tenner in it last night and have covered almost 30mls and its almost in the red so 17.94mpg Question no smell of petrol anywhere though. Suspension is past its best and the leccy windows are slow to move. On the upside its pretty fast and seems to drive ok and has a decent interior. I was planning to spend a bit on it but think I will just drive it and maintain it. £650 is cheap I guess as I havent seen another for under a grand. any idea what the problem could be with the fuel consumption.
Back to top Go down
Colin
Admin
Admin
Colin

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 6:37 pm

If the thermostat is stuck open then the car will run rich and use more fuel. (And won't get up to full temperature)  Thumb 
Back to top Go down
https://draytondubsshrops.forumotion.co.uk
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 pm

It's a common vw problem. It wi'll be temp sender it should be a green plug occasionally blue or black and it located in the right side near the head near the thermostat.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for the tip Danny  Thumb Following a bit of a spruce up. Used my multipurpose cleaner and a soft brush to remove all of the mildew and dirt. Replaced the screws & caps in the number plates and a new tax holder. Cheap but freshens things up. Fuel light has only just come on so I am pleased its doing what its supposed to be doing . Cleaned up the throttle body and MAF using carb cleaner which cost me nothing to do and improves running etc. First proper long run out in it today and it really is a little gem. That little 16v unit is so willing & eager and plenty fast enough for normal road use. Any thoughts I had of selling it on have faded away. I think its a keeper.
Back to top Go down
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 1:44 am

Cool nice one mate. That engine is under powered in a golf but wicked in a polo or lupo Smile
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:28 pm

I decided to fit the temp sender last night. I am still waiting for the new thermostat and I was going to do that first to see if it resolved the problem but I thought bugger it. It looked simple enough release the pressure in the header tank pull out the clip on the sensor and remove the old sensor. I had placed a bowl underneath but I still was not expecting so much water to pour out. Could I get the clip back in for the new sensor ? could I buggery. I then commenced stripping down various bits that were in the way just so I could see what I was doing. Success its in I top up the coolant and run the engine and no leaks  Razz Next step fit the new thermostat and hopefully that will be it. wont be here till tomorrow though.
Back to top Go down
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 pm

So how was the temperature gauge while running the engine?
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 am

Still to high but hopefully the new stat will cure it who knows  Question 
Back to top Go down
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:36 am

How high?
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:05 am

Well its above the center mark and I'm guessing its at about 110+ and as far as I can tell it should be more like 85 ish
Back to top Go down
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:23 am

It should be 90 mate. Might have a hotter stat in it
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 3:26 am

Cheers for that I will know more when the new stat is fitted Smile  will report back  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 4:09 am

So to continue new thermostat has arrived with new cover. Rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in and I was scratching my head when I noted there was no thermostat to replace so I fitted the new one. On the test drive I noted the guage was beginning to register so thought ok that was the problem but I noticed the temp rising towards 110 and still climbing slowly ???

Schoolboy error took it all apart and I could see the stat had broken through the bridge inside the thermostat cover. Stupidly I had used the old cover so I fitted the new cover took it for a long drive and eureka its perfect. Can only assume the previous owner had the same problem and either could not see what the problem was or saw the problem and had no new stat cover so just removed the stat and left it like that.

Unfortunately the uneven idling problem came back so I stripped out the throttle body cleaned it thoroughly with a toothbrush and carb cleaner and as far down into the inlet manifold as I could. I then unhooked the battery for a few hours as I read it clears the ecu memory and resets the throttle body. Bugger me all that worked and touch wood its been perfect ever since.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 4:13 am

Congrats mate sounds like a busy day. Well done.
Back to top Go down
Matty
Slow Starter
Slow Starter
Matty

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 5:45 am

Yes it was but well worth it, what a difference it is now. Thanks for all the help  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Colin
Admin
Admin
Colin

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 5:46 am

Well done  Thumb That's what forums like this are for  Razz 
Back to top Go down
https://draytondubsshrops.forumotion.co.uk
Danny
Admin
Admin
Danny

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 5:51 am

No problem pal any time  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few probs with my polo   A few probs with my polo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few probs with my polo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1